Follow us on:
View Map

Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral

Raised during the period 1923-1933, by architect George Constantin Pomponiu Cristinel, the Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral belongs to the Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan of Cluj, Alba, Crisana and Maramures. Archdiocese of Vad, Feleac and Cluj.

Located in the Avram Iancu Square at no. 18, the Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral is an imposing building in the center of Cluj Napoca, surrounded by old important architectural and historical buildings. These include: Cluj County Council building, CFR Cluj, Archdiocese of Vad, Feleac and Cluj building, Finance and Treasury of Cluj, Cluj Court building and the National Theatre with the Romanian Opera.

Before the Orthodox Church Cathedral is the Avram Iancu monument surrounded by a fountain with games of light and water jets that are synchronized to the rhythm of music. Also, the cathedral is surrounded by a pedestrian area with greenery.

Besides a tourist attraction, the Cathedral is and an important place of cult, especially on holidays, when many locals come to religious ceremonies that are held here. During Christmas or Easter or other public holidays, such as December 1, here, the square outside the church as well as the 2 streets bedides the church, are closed and become pedestrian.

The Orthodox Cathedral can be visited every day. Is recommended that the visits take place between 12-18 because between 8-12 and 18-20 religious ceremonies are held here.

Access ways

With the 32 and 32B bus departing from Cipariu station and stopping at the Tribunal station.
The Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral can be reached on foot from the Bellagio Pensin. From Constantin Brancusi street go to Cipariu square near the National Theatre and cross the road to reach the Avram Iancu Square.

By car: Coming from Veliciu Michael street turn right to Constantin Brancusi street in about 100 meters. On Cipariu square is a parking lot from where you can walk to the Cathedral.

Source of information: ClujTravel.com